The advances in broadband and wireless technology have made the world come together closer than never before. Now virtually everything is possible on the net-shopping, clinching business deals, social networking, and even gambling, the ever-favorite pastime of men. Online gambling first emerged in the early part of the 1990s and had become an instant hit, with an estimated 3000 online websites on the net today. It totally radicalized the gambling industry and has seen takers from across age groups. However, just like the land version, even internet gambling is fraught with problems. The addiction problem prevails in the online world as well.
What is problem gambling?
Problem gambling is an impulse-control disorder that leads to major disruptions in all areas of life: psychological, social, vocational or physical. It also includes the stage of ‘pathological’ or ‘compulsive’ gambling. Problem gambling is characterized by an increasing preoccupation with gambling. They have an urge to bet money more frequently and become restless or irritable, if anyone tries to stop. They usually are aware of the mounting, serious, negative problems but staying off the bet becomes the most difficult thing for them.
Online problem gambling is a manifestation of the aforementioned problems. But a study has shown that people who indulge in online gambling have more serious addiction problems than those who use the lottery or play slot machines. Online gambling problems are on the rise because of the explosive growth of the internet.
Causes leading to Internet Gambling
- The privacy and anonymous nature of the internet space has led to people taking to gambling without any hesitation.
- Easy accessibility of online games in the internet has led to people spending more time on gambling.
- Those who work on the internet most of the time can easily avail of online games. This gradually leads to addiction.
Signs of problem Gambling
- Gambling much longer than intended.
- Gambling until you spend the last penny.
- Using up incomes or even saving to gamble, while bills remain unpaid.
- Borrowing money continuously to finance your gambling needs.
- Neglecting your family and professional responsibilities.
- Stoop to stealing, cheating or selling household stuff to get gambling money.
- Gamble with the hope that it will solve financial woes or even win back losses.
- Relieve feelings of depression.
- They can easily set up a gambling account and there are a variety of forms of gambling – right from traditional betting, to casino gambling, lotteries and bingo. All this makes online gambling tremendously appealing.
- There is no time limit and in the absence of a supervisor, a person can go on gambling for up to 24 hours a day.
- As you play, there is a decreased perception of the value of cash and players frequently forget that they are playing with cash.
Online Gambling and its effects
Though many believe that legalized gambling is just harmless entertainment, but people already affected by it and continuous study results have veered on its deceptive nature. In fact, it is considered to cause even more harm than playing in a live casino building. The health and emotional difficulties associated with gambling disorders includes depression, circulatory disease, substance abuse and even risky sexual behavior. Recent studies have concluded that online gambling comprised basically of unmarried and younger participants over people who never gamble. Contrary to the fact that internet is associated with high education level and higher income strata, the study pointed out that online gambler addicts belong to lower education and income levels. Online gambling is one of the fastest growing addictions to afflict the youth today.